People want to keep their homes clean but hate the harsh chemicals that are found in most store-bought, cleaning products. A lot of these chemicals are unsafe for children and pets, and have a strong, chemical smell which can burn the throat and eyes! There is a solution, however! ─ Use Essential Oils for cleaning instead!
Essential Oils are naturally antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. These properties make them ideal for cleaning your home. Moreover, they smell wonderful, and with so many EOs to choose from, you can pick the perfect scent or blends for you and your home!
I have put together a list of 3 EOs describing their scents and properties. For those of you just getting started with EOs, these are great, beginner Essential Oils for cleaning your home!
All Purpose Cleaning Solution Recipe – Using Essential Oils:
- In a spray bottle combine:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 20-40 drops of an Essential Oil blend or of 1 Essential Oil of your choice
The Best Essential Oils For Cleaning Your Home!
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oil is naturally antibacterial and has a pleasant, floral scent. This EO is one of the most popular oils used in aromatherapy ─ with tons of uses! To learn more about how to use Lavender and for some useful recipes, check out the article, Lavender Oil: The Off-Grid Way To Fight Anxiety, Heal Wounds And Sleep Better, Too!
Here are a few ideas on how you can use Lavender Essential Oil for cleaning!
Make A Laundry Softner-
- 32 oz. of white vinegar
- 32 oz. of baking soda – combine these first 2 ingredients first, over the sink, as the combination will bubble
- Add 64 oz. of purified or distilled water
- Add half an ounce of Lavender EO
- Use ¼ cup in each laundry cycle as a softener, like usual
Add Lavender EO to dishwashing liquid-
- Lavender will improve the antibacterial quality of the soap, get your dishes clean quicker and add a beautiful, floral scent!
All Purpose Cleaning Solution-
- Use the recipe mentioned above. Lavender EO blends well with most other EOs so you can add your favorite scents to make a great smelling, all-purpose, cleaning solution!
2. Orange Essential Oil
An antiseptic with antibacterial and antifungal properties, Orange EO has the citrus character of being a powerful degreaser! Furthermore, orange is an effective deodorizer!
Here are some ideas to incorporate Orange EO into your cleaning solutions:
A Natural Wood Cleaner-
- Orange EO is frequently combined to furniture polish to polish, enhance, protect and clean wood without leaving behind a wax build-up. Try this recipe:
- 1 tbsp Jojoba Oil or Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar – use white vinegar if you are worried about staining. However, Apple Cider is good for dark wood
- 1/4 tsp vegetable glycerin – optional
- 25-30 drops of EOs – you can use all Orange EO or a blend of EOs
- 4oz spray bottle
A Tough Stain Remover-
- Use the all-purpose recipe mentioned above and use it as a stain remover.
- Put a few drops of Orange EO on a cotton ball-
- Place or store the cotton ball anywhere that needs a deodorizing or in enclosed spaces that might become musty! The EO will kill the micro-organisms that create the foul smells, must and mold!
- Try this idea in a cooler, hamper or by a trash can!
All Purpose Cleaning Solution-
- Use the recipe mentioned above as an all-purpose, household cleaner! It has a luscious, fruity scent, which has a cheerful and refreshing fragrance. Orange EO blends well with most other EOs, especially other citrus scents, and Geranium EO, as well. Therefore, you can add your favorite scents to make a great smelling, all-purpose, cleaning solution using Orange EO!
3. Tea Tree Essential Oil
A very beneficial essential oil for cleaning, Tea Tree, has antimicrobial, anti-fungal and antiseptic, properties. Tea Tree EO is extracted from the Melaleuca tree, indigenous to Australia and has been used for thousands of years! I recommend that it be combined with EOs such as pine, eucalyptus or lavender for a more pleasant scent. Though it has a nice woodsy scent, it also has a camphoraceous undertone with is a bit medicinally smelling.
Disinfect During the Cold and Flu Season-
- You can add Tea Tree EO right to a spray bottle with water to quickly disinfect a sick area or to clean the air
- Use in an air diffuser to purify the air
- Spray on counters, doorknobs, light switches and children’s toys to kill germs
- Add another EO such as pine to create a more pleasant scent
Make a Great Floor, Bathroom and Kitchen Cleaner-
- Either use the above mentioned, all-purpose, cleaning solution recipe or simply add Tea Tree EO to hot water and spray it onto kitchen and bathroom fixtures, and floors.
- Use in a bucket of hot water to mop linoleum and wooden floors. Add Orange EO for wooden floors and maybe some Pine EO for the Pine-clean scent!
Use in the Laundry-
- Add to the laundry cycle to help disinfect, purify and clean clothing.
- This is perfect for reusable, cloth diapers or cloth napkins!
Start with these 3 Essential Oils for cleaning!
In conclusion, I would start with these 3 Essential Oils for cleaning! As you become more familiar with EOs and build up your collection, you can start to use other Ois for cleaning and to purify the air, as well!
Robin, and the Zen Team!
*Note: This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or treat any health condition. Therefore, ask your doctor about any health concerns that you might have and seek proper medical treatment.
Photos Sources: Pixabay.com