Why Treat Pain With Essential Oils?
The question always seems to be, “How do I treat pain without becoming dependent on prescription drugs?” Alternative medicines, such as essential oils, have been used throughout history to treat pain and other health ailments. The Egyptians, Native Americans, Romans, Chinese, Greeks, Persians, Indians and people of Western Europe have used essential oils to treat pain for centuries. Even the Bible mentions the use of essential oils.
1. Essential oils treat pain and improve the quality of your life
People with chronic, joint, muscle and bone pain know all too well how their pain negatively affects their lives. Pain makes everyday activities much harder than they really are. Moreover, just getting around is uncomfortable, and it is difficult even to sit and lay down sometimes. Most people who experience this kind of pain have trouble sleeping too, which makes daytime activities tough to get through. It can be hard to get through work, and contributes in missing work. Consequently, people with pain miss out on important events and appointments because they just can’t take the pain. On top of everything else, pain causes moodiness, which makes people miserable and irritable. It’s hard to be yourself when pain is controlling your life!
Besides for treating pain, essential oils can aid in other areas of your life through Aromatherapy. Just by applying essential oils to your body, the scent is released into the air and breathing it in has soothing and relaxing properties. Depending on the essential oils you are using, they can also create an uplifting and invigorating mood. Moreover, they can fight anxiety and can help improve your state of mind.
2. Essential oils are all-natural
Nobody wants to become addicted to prescription painkillers. In addition to the addiction, painkillers can create moodiness and contribute to loss of energy. Tylenol and Advil, though not addictive, are made from synthetic substances that your body has to filter out. Derived from nature, essential oils are all-natural. Hence, they don’t have any side effects when used properly. They work with your body, to help stabilize and improve the condition of your body.
3. Essential oils work with your body to treat pain and to heal
Essential oils can provide relief for many chronic pain sufferers through their ability to penetrate cells quickly, providing oxygen and improving circulation to inflamed joints. The oils’ molecules attach to cell receptors to aid and cleanse the body. They do not need to be filtered out by the kidneys or liver. Afterward, they pass through the body naturally.
4. Essential oils have properties suitable to treat pain
Certain essential oils are better for treating pain than others. The best oils to treat pain have anti-inflammatory, anesthetic, antispasmodic and antiphlogistic effects.
5. These essential oils are known to treat pain
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil has tons of properties and uses, however, it is ideal to treat pain. Topically applying peppermint oil to the body reduces swelling, relieves pain and eliminates the chances of uncomfortable inflammation.
- Camphor oil: Camphor’s stimulant action excites blood circulation which reduces swelling in the body. It gives relief to rheumatic ailments such as arthritis. Furthermore, studies show that camphor’s local anesthetic and antispasmodic effects are extremely beneficial in relieving pain from spasms and muscle cramps. It is also suitable for reducing the severity of nervous disorders and inflammation.
- Lavender oil: This is another oil that has tons of uses. However, its antispasmodic, analgesic, detoxifying and sedative effects make it ideal to treat pain.
- Clove oil: Clove oil’s main compound is Eugenol, which causes circulatory stimulation. Clove oil is an excellent pain reliever for parts of the body like joints and overworked muscles and provides relief from painful inflammation or swelling.
- Wintergreen Oil: While rubbing on the affected area, this oil readily absorbs through the skin and induces an anesthetic effect on the nerves. It is also a warming oil, so it is great for sore muscles.
- Cinnamon leaf oil, Nutmeg oil, Borneol oil, Jasmine oil, Menthol oil, Cassia oil and Eucalyptus oil all have pain relieve properties as well.
Make sure to mix your essential oils with a carrier oil before applying them to your body.
ZEN Sports Balm offers products to treat pain using these mentioned essential oils. ZEN Sports Balm is an ideal, alternative way to treat pain. Take a look at our all-natural, pain relieving products and decide which is the best to help with your active lifestyle!
*Note: This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose any health condition. Therefore, ask your doctor about any health concerns that you might have.